What is MLD?
Manual Lymphatic Drainage massage is a very gentle, rhythmic massage that promotes the optimal functioning of the lymphatic system. The massage facilitates the removal of metabolic wastes, excess water, toxins, bacteria and foreign substances from the tissues via the lymph vessels and venous capillaries. Our culture’s poor diet stresses the lymphatic system with excess wastes and toxins. Inadequate water intake coupled with an increasingly sedentary lifestyle results in a sluggish lymphatic system. Over time this can result in decreased energy, cellular oxygenation and nourishment and immunity.
MLD is a way to stimulate the flow of lymph around the body and detox the body. MLD massage can be a treatment in its own right or incorporated into an aromatherapy massage as appropriate.
Who could benefit from MLD massage?
- skin disorders
- headache and migraine
- sinus congestion
- aches and sprains
- digestive disorders
- before and after surgery
- removing tissue congestion and reducing scar formation
- relieving pain and tension
- post liposuction and cosmetic surgery
- improving immune system, especially for those who often catch colds and flu
- ME, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Fibromyalgia
- hay fever and other allergies
- improving energy